Saturday, October 24, 2009

Infections are Scary

I'm so behind on blogging. These photos were taken in May 2009. Here's the scoop. Ira ran in a 25 mile race at Mt. Adams in May. Immediately after the race his knee swelled up huge. We thought he just hurt it running. The next morning it was bright red, hot, more swollen and he had a fever so I took him in to the ER. Photo L-R Dr. Ken Egli, Dr. Brian Staley, Ira and Jordan. It's so comforting when 2 of your best friends are Dr.'s and they can make sure you are getting extra good care.

In the ER Ira was treated with pain killers and antibiotics. Then he was released and we went home. At this time we were told staff infections were unpredictible. That it could do anything at anytime. And to watch it closely.


With in a few hours of being home the redness and swelling increased, Ken had just finished a 12 hour shift in the ER but he insisted on personally driving Ira back in. I went too....of course. Thank you Ken!!!


Ken called an oropedic surgeon in to examine Ira and determine whether or not he needed surgery. Dr. Sampson decided to admit Ira and see if they could treat the infection with antibiotics. An infectious disease Dr. was then called in to do the honors. He thought Ira had MERSA. So he put Ira on heavy doses of very strong antibiotics.


The infection was non responsive to the massive doses of antibiotics. After 3 days of laying in bed while the infection intermittenly spread up and down his leg like wildfire Dr. Sampson decided he needed perform surgery and cut the infection out of Ira's knee.


Within 24 hours of surgery Ira's knee started to look and feel a lot better. But at this point the infectious disease Dr. still thought Ira had MERSA...so he kept him on the high doses of antibiotics, then Ira started to go into kidney failure.


He was in the hospital for 9 days, during those 9 days he lost twenty nine pounds. And it turns out he didn't have MERSA....thank goodness!



There was nothing I could do to help him. But it seemed to make him feel better if I just laid in bed beside him as he rested. So I did. His kidneys and his knee made a full recovery. But....on Oct. 30th he had to have surgery on his shoulder. Stay tuned for more details.



1 comment:

Tami said...

Yea, that was really scary! I am glad that he recovered and is now onto the next surgery.