
On June 5, 2009 Ira and I flew to Parris Island South Carolina for Kammi's graduation from Marine Boot Camp.

Kammi leading her platoon on the Parade Deck. As the guide for her platoon she was required to carry the Gideon (flag) EVERYWHERE they went 24/7.

A ceremony in which the Guides for each platoon retired their Gideons. After carrying that flag around for 3 months, she didn't quite remember what to do with that arm without it. She kept wanting to walk around with something tucked under that arm.

Before we went to Parris Island, we recieved a call expressing Kammi would be recieving an award for being selected as the Honor Graduate for her platoon.

When we opened up our programs at graduation we discovered Kammi was chosen as the Company Honor Graduate as well. Which means she was the Honor Graduate for the combined platoons.

The graduation was a very moving experience and a proud day for any parent regardless of how their Marine graduates. These kids go thru quite a transformation by (their own choosing to enlist). It's touching to see how they have grown both physically and mentally and the confidence they have devleoped. They go in as kids and come out as Marines.

Kammi with her Sr. Drill Instructor Mendoza. Kammi developed the a lot of respect for SDI Mendoza, she really grew to love this women too. We also met Kammi's two other DI's and we laughed because Kammi, who's just shy of 5'3" was taller than all of them. But she said they were tough. When they went on 15 mile hikes the Instructors would literally run circles around the platoon throughout the entire hike as they encouraged (in other words SCREAMED) at the recruits to move faster.

What is so amazing is the pride and honor these Marines have, you can see it on their faces. These Marines (now my daughter) will gladly lay down theirs lives, if called upon, for their family and country to keep us all free. That is difficult for me to say and to think of as a parent, but like Kammi said to me "it can't always be someone else's son or daughter".

As we traveled home, I was amazed at how many strangers approached Kammi and thanked her for her service. Those who keep our country safe and free deserve not only our respect, but our grattitude as well. I am proud of each one of them. I'm thankful to be an American, and to live in this choice and free land.

As we spent the few days we were there with Kammi, we could see so many changes in her. She did not speak unless spoken too. Nor did she laugh or smile. When I expressed that this made me sad, she said "Mom, please understand, for the past 3 months I got quarter decked for it." Yes, expressive Kammi with the great big laugh, was now VERY QUIET and VERY SERIOUS. Kammi's always had really good posture, but now she stands and sits extra tall and straight. She no longer looks around to see "who's doing what" instead she looks straight ahead at all times. She is also required to wear her shirts tucked in and a belt if she's wearing something with belt loops (this applies off duty too, not just when she's acting as a Marine). You'd be AMAZED at all the rules she now has to follow even when she's not on duty. But one thing that hasn't changed is her sweet tooth. The first thing she wanted to do after graduation was buy a bad of candy and EAT IT!

Honestly, I wasn't thrilled when Kammi informed us she was going to enlist. In fact these past four years Ira and I repeatedly talked her out of it. But now that I see the passion and devotion she has for the Marine Corp, not only I am excited for her, I'm excited for this new adventure she's taking our family on. Go Kammi! Oohrah!
8 comments:
WOW. I am in awe. Great post Leslie, and what an amazing experience for all of you. She is an awesome girl, and capable of so much. You are proud, I can tell. And you should be.
wow, way to go kammi! i'm so impressed and grateful for people like her who keep our country free.
our blog address is: jimsarahrowberry.blogspot.com
so proud of little kammi- guess i shouldn't call her little when she can kick my butt right? love you guys! i am waiting for a post on ira's tack strip experince- sounds intense!!
Wow, Kammi is amazing! Nice job on the honors. I loved hearing about her experiences during boot camp. What a tough and awesome woman!
What a great post Leslie... I think that would be so hard as a mom to be supportive of that choice. But I love her response about it not always being someone else. Thats really... I don't know... Awesome I guess.
Way to go Kammi! You have always been a rock star now you are a SUPER BUFF ROCKSTAR!
You guys look so much alike in that picture! You are both so beautiful!
That's great that you and Ira could go to her graduation. She looks very proud! Way to go Kammi!
maybe it won't add you because my blog is private, so the "readers" can't tell when there is a new post, so it won't add?... that's the downside to having a private blog. sorry! just check in once a week, i usually post at least once a week.
Seriously......SO COOL!!!!!! I am so proud of her and to doing something that NOT everybody is willing to do! How brave, strong and beautiful she is!!!!! I am so excited to hear more of her stories!!! Congrats!!! Love the pics too!!!!!! Such a cute mother and daughter you guys are too!!!!!!!
Post a Comment